|Recent Students: 12||Total Hours: 44||Last Online: 23 Nov 2020|
|All-time Students: 21||Total Classes: 40||Signed Up: 01 Apr 2020|
When not in HE I run a summer course for the UK's leading English Language summer school - Discovery Summer. I am also a very keen sportsperson, with a real 'passion' for Rugby Union.
Hi! I am a hugely experienced Tutor who holds a PGCert in HE and is accredited as a Fellow of the Higher Education Authority. I love to explore the ways in which different teaching methods and tasks can facilitate engagement and interaction in the virtual classroom (expect remote desktops and annotations). In my classrooms you can expect a clear sense of friendliness, with a good slice of humour.
My teaching (Sports Science, Research Methods, Public Health, Sociology, and Essay Writing) has regularly been commended via various channels of evaluation and feedback. Whilst my published research has been digested and utilised by a number of government organisations, including Public Health England, and the Department for Transport.
Lecturer in Sociology of Sport and Exercise, UoC Sport and Exercise Sciences Department (September 2014 – present)
- Module leader for Level 4 module - Research Methods and Study Skills.
- Area leader for Level 5 Experiential Based Learning module.
- Sociology of sport teaching across all undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Marking and moderating across all sociology of sport modules.
- Assessing on Level 4 pedagogy modules.
- Vast experience in online teaching (seminars, lectures, assignment forums).
- Leading our department’s ‘retention project’, aimed at assisting Level 4 students with course progression.
Visiting Lecturer at Manchester Metropolitan University and Newman University.
Editorial Assistant, European Physical Education Review Journal (November 2014 – August 2018)
- First point of contact at the journal for PE academics across the globe.
- Efficient management of submissions – assessing suitability of papers and detailed proofing.
- In-depth knowledge of the online manuscript management system.
- Peer reviewer.
Prior to my HE studies I worked as a Teaching Assistant at a secondary school in the West Midlands (rated 'Outstanding' by Ofsted).
Research methods - Qualitative research; Literature Reviews; Dissertations; Essay Writing; Academic Presentations; Lab Reports
Sociology - GCSE & ALevel; Social Theory; Sociology of Health; Social Divisions; Environmental Sociology; Sociology of Mobility
Sports Sciences - GCSE & ALevel PE; Sociology of Sport; PE and Pedagogy; Psychology of Sport
awesome as usual. very good at getting students to digest info.
Chris was awesome, very helpful and patient.
2nd Year Undergraduate: Hi, just wanted to say thanks for all your work this year. I always come away from lectures feeling confused about the content and uncertain as to how it can be applied to my assignments. Your sessions have played a vital role in my progression!
PhD Sociology of Sport, Exercise, and Public Health, University of Chester (November 2020 completion)
Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education, University of Chester (2018)
MSc Sociology of Sport and Exercise (Distinction), University of Chester (2014)
BSc Sport and Exercise Sciences (First Class), University of Chester (2013)