|Recent Students: 2||Total Hours: 48||Last Online: 25 Mar 2023|
|All-time Students: 8||Total Classes: 57||Signed Up: 31 Aug 2021|
Having been brought up in Kenya, I have always been drawn to post-colonial literature. However, it was my senior school English Teacher, Mr Wood, who truly ignited my passion for English as a whole. I choose to study English and Theatre at Warwick University, before going on to do my post-graduate training at the University of Oxford. I have taught across the state and independent sectors as well as being responsible for many pastoral elements of the schools I have taught in. I love surfing and rugby, as well as looking after my kids and spending time with my wife (also a teacher). I love literature; I write fiction and non-fiction, poetry and prose, and read avidly for pleasure alongside the friends in my book club.
- 15 years as an English teacher in maintained and private sectors in England and Australia.
- Last 10 years teaching English Literature and Language at Oakham School to classes of between 5 to 22 pupils in size, across 11-19 age range. Taught GCSE, A-Level Literature, A-Level Language and IB Literature; experience as Key Stage 3, GCSE and English Language A-Level co-ordinator.
- Enjoy working with larger classes, although I have found that 1-on-1 or small group tutoring is most effective and enjoyable in progressing within English, no matter the stage.
- A-Level - Edexcel English Literature and AQA English Language
- IB English Literature
- GCSE - Edexcel IGCSE English
- Key Stage 3 skills and exam preparation
- Taught texts at Key Stage 5 include The Handmaid’s Tale, Sophocles’ Antigone, Ibsen’s A Doll House, A Streetcar Named Desire, Edexcel’s Forward Poetry Anthology and Derek Walcott’s poetry. Also, Marjane’s Persepolis, Martel’s Life of Pi, The Great Gatsby and expertise across the post-colonial canon. Extended Essay IB experience also.
- Key Stage 4 Edexcel IGCSE English Language and Literature taught texts: An Inspector Calls, Of Mice and Men, To Kill a Mockingbird and Shakespeare’s Macbeth, A Midsummer Night’s Dream and Romeo and Juliet; 10 years working with the GCSE Edexcel anthology and helping pupils craft Literature and Language coursework.
2005 – 2006
University of Oxford, Department of Educational Studies
PGCE in Secondary Education: English and Theatre Studies
2002 – 2005
University of Warwick – BA (Hons.), English and Theatre Studies