Oxford History Graduate currently studying an MPhil in Modern Chinese Studies with three years experience tutoring A Levels in History and Geography, as well as GCSE History, English, and Geography. I have also worked with students on NEA projects and essay competitions, as well as Oxbridge Admissions.
|Recent Students: 0|
|Total Hours: 101|
|All-time Students: 21|
|Total Classes: 103|
|Recent Students: 0||Total Hours: 101||Last Online:|
|All-time Students: 21||Total Classes: 103||Signed Up:|
In 2019 I joined the University of Oxford, and graduated with a first in History BA. I specialised in modern Chinese and European History, as well as ancient religious history. I now study an MPhil in Modern Chinese Studies at the University of Oxford. Recently I had a piece of analysis on Christianity in China published by the parliamentary think tank, the China Research Group (CRG) who shared my analysis with MPs.
I am from North Lincolnshire, and have previously played Football for the County. I support Grimsby Town Football Club, and have a great passion for live music. I am Grade 5 in Guitar. I was also Head Boy at my Sixth Form.
- In the last year I have tutored students for over 30 hours in A-Level History. This has focussed mainly on students going from B or A to A*, as well as working on NEA/coursework projects.
- Subjects tutored include: Russia, China, Tudor Britain, Stuarts, Modern Britain (Thatcher, New Labour etc), French Revolution, Social History, Political History.
- In the last year I have tutored over 20hours of A-Level and GCSE Geography.
- This year I tutored 3 candidates for Oxbridge Admissions, two of which secured a place at Oxford.
- I tutor students from personal statement through the admissions test then to interviews .
- Last summer I worked with several students on improving their wider knowledge/reading. This involved focussing on one particular book, and exploring its historical context and meaning. Students found this was a very productive way to improve their knowledge and wider analytical skills. Usually did this with Secondary school students.
- Worked with two students last year on participating in historical and political essay competitions.
I have a lot of experience with AQA Exam Boards at both A-Level and GCSE having recently sat these papers as a students and tutored geography and history candidates for these papers at GCSE and A-Level last year. For instance when mentoring geography students for the AQA GCSE paper last year I translated information from the examiner's report and mark scheme into a simpler and more readable guide for the students, which led to improved performance in exams.
Over the last three years of study for my History degree I developed an interest in religious history and particularly questions concerning global religious change and conversion. This led me to complete a thesis which investigated how and why Christian and Muslim religious elites used theological aspects of their religion to shape positive memories of the Mongol Conquest. In my degree I have studied the following topics which proves a wide range of historical interest and a capability within the short Oxford eight week terms to learn new topics and gain a level of expertise which meant I could discuss and debate such topics with world leading tutors in these fields. I am happy to utilise this skill to learn in depth whichever topic the student is studying for their history degree, something which I have proven in past tutoring experience; for instance, I learned enough material in a two week period to help a student gain an A in a topic about the American Civil War, something I was not previously that familiar with.
- ‘China since 1900’
- ‘Reformations and Revolutions’, 1500-1700 (British Isles),
- ‘On the Road to Baghdad’ (892-1055),
- ‘Europe 1914-1989’.
- Disciplines of History
- Produced a thesis titled: ‘Mongols, Memory and Religion: The construction of
societal narratives following mass killing’.
very good, very easy to arrange
Great! Gave me the support I needed
Erik’s explanation is clear and structured.
A masterclass by Erik!
Chiara Simpson-Gregory who I successfully tutored through the Oxford admissions process with her gaining a place from Oxford University to study History.
"As a state school student who didn’t know where to start with her Oxford application and was honestly intimidated by the application process, Erik not only managed to guide me through every stage, from discussing my personal statement with me for weeks to doing mock interviews in the days before my interview, but he made the sessions accessible and enjoyable. My favourite part was the fact he seemed genuinely invested in helping me get into Oxford and it did pay off, I received an offer from Brasenose college. He was so helpful in probably the most stressful period of time for me so far, not only as a tutor but as someone trustworthy and friendly enough to ask questions outside of university preparation and about life at Oxford, making me more excited about applying than scared!" Chiara (27th June 2022)
University of Oxford, History BA Degree (2019-2022)
A-Level: History A*, English Lit A, Geography A
GCSE: 8 x A* (including A* in English and Maths) - 2017