I have 23 years of experience in tutoring learners to achieve their goals. I tutor GCSE, A-Level, CAIE/CIE, EPQ, IB, PRE-U, Undergraduate, Postgraduate/Doctoral students, UCAS and Oxbridge applicants, and professional clients in Academic Research and Writing, Business Studies, Creative Industries, Critical Thinking, Cultural Studies, Education, Film, Government and Politics, Marketing, Media, Oxbridge Entrance/UCAS, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Theology, Theory of Knowledge, and Social Sciences.
I combine two decades of experience in the education sector with my earlier career in the creative industries to offer engaging learning opportunities relevant to our daily lives. I am a passionate advocate of 'affective' learning and well-being through creativity, critical inquiry and philosophical reasoning. I invite you to engage in these ways of thinking that can empower you with relevant skills to support your personal growth. I have extensive experience in tutoring GCSE, A-Level, CAIE/CIE, IB, PRE-U, EPQ, Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Professional learners. My presentation style is engaging and interactive. I convert complicated theories and paradigms into straightforward ideas, with practical worth, and impart useful advice for my clients.
I have been a professional tutor since 2006.
Across all of the different subjects I teach, I always notice the same thing: the main difficulty that learners encounter is getting overwhelmed by what they're trying to learn. It could be that there seems to be simply too much material to cover; it could be that the concepts seem too difficult; it could be that the whole thing causes anxiety for some completely different reason which is apparently unrelated to the 'academic' side of things.
I help remove anxiety, regardless of what form it might take, in whatever way seems like it will help each individual most. Before long, it becomes possible to see the task in hand with different eyes – indeed, more importantly, at this point most of my students come to see their own abilities entirely differently. They may have come to me with a fixed idea of what they are 'bad' at, but I help them to realise that they have skills they hardly suspected.
o English as a Second Language Tutor
• Teaching and communicating English as a second language in online classes to young learners in China. This involves the use of company proprietary software which includes videos, audio, and drawing tools.
o Law Lecturer
• Successfully teaching ILEX, A’ Level, BTEC and NVQ Law at the University of West Herts to learners in evening adult classes and for younger adult learners in the daytime.
• Using the SMARTboard, PowerPoint and proprietary Visual aids to teach a diverse audience of learners with varying needs. Researched video content relevant to the subject in hand.
o British Sign Language Communicator
• Teaching and assisting Deaf learners and Deaf employee clientele in schools, colleges and The Ministry of Justice to understand and carry out their educational and employment commitment by accessing the English Language from their employer and the curriculum.
• Translating and modifying the English language with sign language, word simplification, visuals, symbols and gesticulation for Deaf clientele who have a limited or non-existent vocabulary of English.
o Sign Language Tutor
• Tutoring two groups of Sign Language students in the week and at the weekends to learn—British Language (BSL) and Sign Support Language (SSE).
o Vocal Teacher
• Motivate and train three classes of students for vocal performances scheduled at the Royal Albert Hall.
• Tutor individual and group singing while instilling confidence to successfully sell a show to an audience.
My main tutoring work is in preparing students for the American standardized exams; I have experience with the SAT, SAT-2 (Subject Tests), ACT, GRE, GMAT, ISEE and SSAT. I have helped over 200 students with their exams; of these, more than one-third made successful applications to Ivy League schools or major business schools.
I specialise in Verbal for all tests and have a strong record of helping students accomplish top scores through my own system of strategies, fine-tuned for each individual for optimal results. Where applicable, I ensure all students have a rock-solid foundation and a whole tool kit of strategies designed specifically for each element of the test.
I have helped with the all of the aforementioned exams in a variety of different teaching scenarios. As well as working face to face, I have also taught extensively online via Skype. Numerous students have been apprentices with Premier League Youth Academies, including those at Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur, who have required particularly attentive tutoring to help them make up for gaps in their knowledge due to their heavy sporting schedules. I have taught people with learning difficulties and I also have plenty of experience in working with younger students, from 8 and up, on the ISEE and SSAT.