I am an experienced educator, with a specialism in Geography/Environmental Science, as well as STEM in industry and Psychology. I have been a qualified teacher since 2008 and worked with children aged 4-18 in schools in the UK as well as international schools in East Timor and the Philippines. I currently manage an education service which specialises in providing students (5-18) with practical learning experiences to help them understand the links between what they learn in school and the relevance of these subjects in industry.
In addition, I am a qualified fitness instructor (2007) and Strength & Conditioning Coach. I have worked with students in schools as well as with adults both in group settings and on a one to one basis.
"The learning exercises were always set around my interest areas, making tuition both fun and effective. Following my sessions with Andrew, I have developed a more concise way of communicating. My writing now has more flow, which helps me say what I need to say." - Neil , Newtownabbey
I'm passionate about nurturing the potential of each student with whom I have the privilege of working. With over 10 years' experience as a Learning Coach with countless individuals and groups, Diploma in Life Coaching as well as a successful university graduate (1st class hons in Philosophy) and additional Masters research degree in Developmental Psychology, I previously taught at Secondary school and most recently trained nursing professionals to pass their IELTS exams.
I am also a regular public speaker and workshop leader in the private health sector, delivering courses in areas from stress-management and communication skills, to self-care and personal development.
2016-18, Tutor in Evolution & Social Evolution (taught 27 undergraduates in 1:1 or 2:1 sessions) on topics of Social
Evolution & Major Evolutionary Transitions, University of Oxford
2016-17, Demonstrator for the “Organisms - Invertebrate Practicals” course run by Jonathan Green, Department of
Zoology, University of Oxford (involved in demonstrating, dissections & marking)
2017-18, Invigilator for undergraduate student exams, New College, University of Oxford
2017, Demonstrator for the “Tree of Life” practical run by Sebastian Shimeld, Department of Zoology, University of
Oxford, (involved in demonstrating, DNA extractions, PCR reactions, gel electrophoresis & sequencing)
2015, Demonstrator for an “Experimental Evolution Practical” course run by William Durham, Department of
Zoology, University of Oxford
I have qualified teacher status, experience teaching in UK secondary schools as well as many sucessful years of 1:1 tutoring. I bring together my deep understanding of science, with my experience of learning styles and study techniques to support young people in achieving their academic goals!
I have a first class biology degree and have a first class approach to tutoring. My previous experience has been in tutoring/teaching GCSE Combined science as well as the individual Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSE awards (AQA, OCR, EdExcel). In addition to this, I have been the lead biology teacher for A Level Biology as well as tutoring many A level biology students (OCR, AQA).
I have been a private tutor over the last five years or so, teaching biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics and French at a range of levels from secondary up to A level standard. I have also taught the clarinet.
Some of my pupils in the past have been struggling or unmotivated and subsequently performed very well in their exams. One example was a girl who had failed her GCSE Mathematics (Lower Tier) and came to me to prepare for her retake. I gave her the confidence she needed and she passed with a 5, the highest possible score at Lower Tier.
I try to bring together different fields of study in my lessons and explain how they relate to one another. As a Natural Sciences graduate I can draw from my interdisciplinary knowledge of various biological, chemical, geological, environmental and mathematical topics. Thanks to a six-week-long exchange to a school near Paris, I am also reasonably fluent in French with a strong understanding of grammar and an appreciation of the French culture and colloquialism, while my interest in languages in general (I can also speak German and some Italian) allows me to understand the evolution and interconnections of language, and consequently to enrich my tutoring material. I will try to find ways not only to elucidate any problems students have, but hopefully to also allow them to appreciate the underlying meaning or beauty of these subjects.
o English as a Second Language Tutor
• Teaching and communicating English as a second language in online classes to young learners in China. This involves the use of company proprietary software which includes videos, audio, and drawing tools.
o Law Lecturer
• Successfully teaching ILEX, A’ Level, BTEC and NVQ Law at the University of West Herts to learners in evening adult classes and for younger adult learners in the daytime.
• Using the SMARTboard, PowerPoint and proprietary Visual aids to teach a diverse audience of learners with varying needs. Researched video content relevant to the subject in hand.
o British Sign Language Communicator
• Teaching and assisting Deaf learners and Deaf employee clientele in schools, colleges and The Ministry of Justice to understand and carry out their educational and employment commitment by accessing the English Language from their employer and the curriculum.
• Translating and modifying the English language with sign language, word simplification, visuals, symbols and gesticulation for Deaf clientele who have a limited or non-existent vocabulary of English.
o Sign Language Tutor
• Tutoring two groups of Sign Language students in the week and at the weekends to learn—British Language (BSL) and Sign Support Language (SSE).
o Vocal Teacher
• Motivate and train three classes of students for vocal performances scheduled at the Royal Albert Hall.
• Tutor individual and group singing while instilling confidence to successfully sell a show to an audience.