I'm a postgraduate at The University of Oxford, and already hold a Congratulatory First in German (BA) with the best results of the 200 students in the Languages department, as well as the highest grades in Arts subjects at my college.
I also have over four years of tutoring experience, from primary through to GCSE, A Level, and undergraduate. It's a consistent delight to celebrate tutees' successes - be it getting to grips with a thorny bit of grammar, having a 'eureka!' moment with a tricky piece of literature, or passing exams with flying colours.
There can be no one-size-fits-all formula when it comes to a tutoring session. Every tutee has different likes and dislikes, strengths and weaknesses, and will progress at an individual pace. I can help with anything from oral presentations and spoken fluency, to essays, literature, and grammar (having personally tried all the tips and tricks!).
I am a full-time Computer Science teacher and guide my daytime students to impressive grades in Computing. My keenest students in years 9 and 10 are already working towards an AS-Level in Computer Science to supplement and support the GCSE course. I set my students' goals high.
I'm very adept at helping students cut through confusion, focus on precise language and find the focus in theory topics to deliver mark-scheme friendly answers in examinations.
I have 22 years of experience in tutoring learners to achieve their goals. I tutor GCSE, A-Level/PRE-U, EPQ, Undergraduate, Postgraduate/Doctoral students and professional clients in Academic Research and Writing, Creative Industries, Critical Thinking, Cultural Studies, Education, Government and Politics, Marketing, Oxbridge Entrance/UCAS, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Theology, and Social Sciences.
I combine two decades of experience in the education sector with my earlier career in the creative industries to offer engaging learning opportunities relevant to our daily lives. I am a passionate advocate of 'affective' learning and well-being through creativity, critical inquiry and philosophical reasoning. I invite you to engage in these ways of thinking that can empower you with relevant skills to support your personal growth. I have extensive experience in tutoring GCSE, A-Level, PRE-U, EPQ, Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Professional learners. My presentation style is engaging and interactive. I convert complicated theories and paradigms into straightforward ideas, with practical worth, and impart useful advice for my clients.
Professional teaching experience
I am a professional teacher of English, with 4 years of experience in both state and independent sectors. In my teacher training (through the prestigious Teach First Leadership Development Programme), I gained a distinction, and have been promoted every year of my teaching career. In my previous school, I ran staff training sessions to improve teaching practice for high ability students, and worked as a coach for fellow teachers. I have taught GCSE, IGCSE, A Level and IB qualifications, as well as coaching and mentoring students through UCAS and Oxbridge Entrance. In my teaching role until now I have had little time for paid tuition, but working on-on-one with students outside of class time is part of my daily practice as a teacher, especially when students are struggling or need extra challenge. I have worked extensively with a wide range of ages (11-18) and abilities, as well as with SEN and EAL students.
Paid tuition work outside of teaching
Currently, I tutor one student outside of school as she has needed extra support due to English being her second language. Previously, I tutored a student on creative writing techniques - this is a particular interest of mine.
Providing IT tuition as part of existing work roles for past 19 years.
I have been a professional film maker for over 14 years for both corporate and film drama.
o English as a Second Language Tutor
• Teaching and communicating English as a second language in online classes to young learners in China. This involves the use of company proprietary software which includes videos, audio, and drawing tools.
o Law Lecturer
• Successfully teaching ILEX, A’ Level, BTEC and NVQ Law at the University of West Herts to learners in evening adult classes and for younger adult learners in the daytime.
• Using the SMARTboard, PowerPoint and proprietary Visual aids to teach a diverse audience of learners with varying needs. Researched video content relevant to the subject in hand.
o British Sign Language Communicator
• Teaching and assisting Deaf learners and Deaf employee clientele in schools, colleges and The Ministry of Justice to understand and carry out their educational and employment commitment by accessing the English Language from their employer and the curriculum.
• Translating and modifying the English language with sign language, word simplification, visuals, symbols and gesticulation for Deaf clientele who have a limited or non-existent vocabulary of English.
o Sign Language Tutor
• Tutoring two groups of Sign Language students in the week and at the weekends to learn—British Language (BSL) and Sign Support Language (SSE).
o Vocal Teacher
• Motivate and train three classes of students for vocal performances scheduled at the Royal Albert Hall.
• Tutor individual and group singing while instilling confidence to successfully sell a show to an audience.
Having completed my PGCE at the University of Cambridge, I have 10 years teaching experience across the UK, Hong Kong and Portugal. Consequently, I have a wealth of knowledge and experience in a range of curricula including; KS3, GCSE, A-Level, iGCSE, MYP and DP English Language and Literature, GCSE, A-Level and DP Film and Extended Essays for English and Film. This means I can fill my students with confidence and focus on supporting improvement alongside their specific needs. I am a particularly enthusiastic and supportive tutor who quickly assesses how to ensure my tutee achieve their potential.