I have 22 years of experience in tutoring learners to achieve their goals. I tutor GCSE, A-Level, EPQ, IB, PRE-U, Undergraduate, Postgraduate/Doctoral students, UCAS and Oxbridge applicants, and professional clients in Academic Research and Writing, Creative Industries, Critical Thinking, Cultural Studies, Education, Film, Government and Politics, Marketing, Media, Oxbridge Entrance/UCAS, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Theology, Theory of Knowledge, and Social Sciences.
I combine two decades of experience in the education sector with my earlier career in the creative industries to offer engaging learning opportunities relevant to our daily lives. I am a passionate advocate of 'affective' learning and well-being through creativity, critical inquiry and philosophical reasoning. I invite you to engage in these ways of thinking that can empower you with relevant skills to support your personal growth. I have extensive experience in tutoring GCSE, A-Level, PRE-U, EPQ, Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Professional learners. My presentation style is engaging and interactive. I convert complicated theories and paradigms into straightforward ideas, with practical worth, and impart useful advice for my clients.
Dr Steve's last completed
Film Studies job with Christine Rhiannon:
Occasional - Hello,
I am in the process of writing a 2 thousand word sequence analysis on Blade Runner and postmodernism. I would like to get written feedback on my essay if possible. I mostly would like help to make sure that I am using the correct technical terms for things such as editing, cinematography, etc. However, I could also benefit a bit from potential feedback in reguards to the theory and philosophy and general arguementation of my essay (but my main weakness is the technical aspects of the actual film making process, as I have not studied film before).
If someone is free I will also send the relevant marking criteria, film clip, and so on.
Dr Steve's last review in Film Studies from Christine Rhiannon: Consultation. Helpful and in-depth
I've worked successfully as a tutor for GCSE and A-Level students for a number of years now, helping them drastically improve their grades. I've also done considerable work as a university supervisor and mentor for undergraduate, master's, and first-year doctoral students at the University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, and other institutions. My approach is mainly trust based, my students are often amazed by just how much they can do for themselves if they're in a learning environment that isn't adversarial, oppressive, or plain dull. Beyond A-Level, I also have teaching experience at the University of Oxford as a tutor and seminar leader for undergraduate history and sociology students, and I have degrees in both Archaeology and History. My background of experience is technological, and I work as a civilian consultant to the NASA Ames Human Factors laboratory in that capacity. Central to my approach is an understanding that my students are people, with their own unique strengths, weaknesses, and abilities, which need to be nurtured and supported in order to get the best possible results.
In this way, learning can, and should be of a reciprocal exchange of ideas, and by embracing this in a more relaxed and curiosity-driven approach, it becomes far easier for many to explore, absorb, and abstract their understanding of both the surface learning of school qualifications, and the deep learning of the concepts behind them crucial to getting the very highest grades.
I am a full-time Computer Science teacher and guide my daytime students to impressive grades in Computing. My keenest students in years 9 and 10 are already working towards an AS-Level in Computer Science to supplement and support the GCSE course. I set my students' goals high.
I'm very adept at helping students cut through confusion, focus on precise language and find the focus in theory topics to deliver mark-scheme friendly answers in examinations.
Having been tutored myself in the past, I understand what being in a pupil's shoes is like. From there I then started tutoring after having developed a passion in education and learning. I have since tutored children as young as five to adults from a wide range of ages. This means that not only have I learnt how to adapt my teaching from individual to individual but also to adapt my level of tutoring based on age and/or past experience in the subjects that I tutor.
The last student I tutored on Spires achieved an A at A level French.
Elodie's last completed Film Studies job with Zeenat: Occasional - My daughter needs support with a final year dissertation in Film Studies. The paper is on 2 Indian films falling under New Independent Indian Cinema. The word limit is 8,000 words and she has worked on 3,000 words thus far. She has a clear idea of the subject matter but needs it to have a more academic approach. Furthermore, she may need assistance with a few assignments covering Russian Film & Gender Studies, Film and Philosophy. She has a submission for next Sunday for one of the assignments but the rest have to be submitted by 26th April. She has not been too well and we don't want her to fall behind.
I have 10 years of experience working as a Private Tutor in Cheltenham Spa, London, Moscow and internationally. My experience has ranged from working as a Governess and Residential Tutor for UHNW and VVIP families, to working as an outreach tutor for children with SEN and behavioural difficulties, to working overseas with children who have been victims of trauma and conflict.
For the last 5 years, I have continuously been teaching online, and have taught students as young as 5 years of age, right up to experienced business professionals and retired language learners. This experience has taught me vital strategies in engaging students online, built upon an understanding of age, learning style, objectives, technical abilities, personalities and attention span! In every case, I have built a strong positive rapport with clients and have frequently continued to stay in touch with clients or families even after they have passed their exams or succeeded in their objectives.
I have over 7 years' of teaching and tutoring experience including:
* for ages 14-18- providing GCSE, A level and IB tuition in Law, English, Business Studies and Philosophy. I also help students apply for university, draft personal statements, obtain legal work experience and generally improve their academic writing skills ready for university;
* for aspiring lawyers- teaching LLB, LLM, GDL, BPTC and LPC modules including admissions tests such as the LNAT and BCAT, obtaining vacation scheme placements, work experience, pro bono work, mini-pupillages, training contracts and pupillage;
* for non-law students ages 18+- teaching English, Politics, Philosophy, Business Studies, Film Studies and Media Studies; and
* for professionals- teaching professional mediation and conflict resolution courses, teaching business English for professionals working in the UK and helping professionals write CVs, apply for jobs and perfect job interview techniques.
I have over eight years experience tutoring for the 7+, 8+, 9+, 10+, 11+ and Common Entrance exams in Maths, English, Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning.
All my students have gained places at top London schools such as:
St Paul’s (boys and girls)
Godolphin and Latymer
City of London (boys and girls)
And many more.
I have an extensive knowledge of London schools, both private and grammar, and can offer help and guidance throughout the application process.
I also tutor French up to University level, as well as English and History up to A-level.
Finally, I also help with Oxbridge and UCAS applications, for students wanting to study English and History. All of my students (11 in total) received places at their colleges of choice.
Professional teaching experience
I am a professional teacher of English, with 4 years of experience in both state and independent sectors. In my teacher training (through the prestigious Teach First Leadership Development Programme), I gained a distinction, and have been promoted every year of my teaching career. In my previous school, I ran staff training sessions to improve teaching practice for high ability students, and worked as a coach for fellow teachers. I have taught GCSE, IGCSE, A Level and IB qualifications, as well as coaching and mentoring students through UCAS and Oxbridge Entrance. In my teaching role until now I have had little time for paid tuition, but working on-on-one with students outside of class time is part of my daily practice as a teacher, especially when students are struggling or need extra challenge. I have worked extensively with a wide range of ages (11-18) and abilities, as well as with SEN and EAL students.
Paid tuition work outside of teaching
Currently, I tutor one student outside of school as she has needed extra support due to English being her second language. Previously, I tutored a student on creative writing techniques - this is a particular interest of mine.
o English as a Second Language Tutor
• Teaching and communicating English as a second language in online classes to young learners in China. This involves the use of company proprietary software which includes videos, audio, and drawing tools.
o Law Lecturer
• Successfully teaching ILEX, A’ Level, BTEC and NVQ Law at the University of West Herts to learners in evening adult classes and for younger adult learners in the daytime.
• Using the SMARTboard, PowerPoint and proprietary Visual aids to teach a diverse audience of learners with varying needs. Researched video content relevant to the subject in hand.
o British Sign Language Communicator
• Teaching and assisting Deaf learners and Deaf employee clientele in schools, colleges and The Ministry of Justice to understand and carry out their educational and employment commitment by accessing the English Language from their employer and the curriculum.
• Translating and modifying the English language with sign language, word simplification, visuals, symbols and gesticulation for Deaf clientele who have a limited or non-existent vocabulary of English.
o Sign Language Tutor
• Tutoring two groups of Sign Language students in the week and at the weekends to learn—British Language (BSL) and Sign Support Language (SSE).
o Vocal Teacher
• Motivate and train three classes of students for vocal performances scheduled at the Royal Albert Hall.
• Tutor individual and group singing while instilling confidence to successfully sell a show to an audience.
Providing IT tuition as part of existing work roles for past 19 years.
I have been a professional film maker for over 14 years for both corporate and film drama.
Jay's last completed Film Studies job with Elaine: 1-2 hrs/week - Help with A Level Film Studies