I am a specialist Computer Science tutor/teacher with more than 20 years experience of private tutoring and teaching class based students. I hold a Degree and Masters Degree in Computer Science. I'm fully conversant with all exam board specifications including AQA, OCR, WJEC, EdExcel, IGCSE, Cambridge International, etc.
The subject I teach is my hobby. I have extensive experience of providing online tuition to students all around the UK, Europe and as far as Hong Kong.
Connecting and having a rapport with the student is key. I have two aims, one is to teach the topic within the specification. The other, more important, is to develop the student's confidence.
In addition, I am a full member of The Tutors Association. This is a professional body that ensures best practices and ethics by members.
My tuition style is based on the recognition and understanding that each student has their own way of achieving their highest possible results. I fully recognise that in private tuition, the student does not have to compromise and can get the best tutor to suit their individual needs. I try to accommodate the very busy and restrictive schedules of both parents and students, including boarding school students and distance universities. My aim is always to try to help the students achieve their targets.
I am a full-time Computer Science teacher and guide my daytime students to impressive grades in Computing. My keenest students in years 9 and 10 are already working towards an AS-Level in Computer Science to supplement and support the GCSE course. I set my students' goals high.
I'm very adept at helping students cut through confusion, focus on precise language and find the focus in theory topics to deliver mark-scheme friendly answers in examinations.
I have successfully taught all subjects I am offering up to and including A Level. Experienced with AQA, OCR, Edexcel, and Eduqas. As a senior leader I have coached and mentored new and experienced teachers giving me a deep understanding of teaching methodologies. Skilled in differentiating learning, my student-centred approach ensures all students make progress. I am dedicated to developing the passion for lifelong learning in others.
Firstly, it is crucial with exam based subjects that a tutee should target qualified teachers (with QTS) as they have conversed with the current changes that have taken place with GCSE and A-Levels. They are aware of syllabus amendments and have a range of tools to support how to interpret command verbs within the exam.
I am a qualified teacher (with QTS) that has over 10 years leading several departments in Computing, Business, ICT and Design across a range of qualifications and exam boards. As a result of this and exam board work (working as an exam marker), I feel I understand what is required to pass the exams.
The exam board experience stems over a range of exam boards (OCR, Pearsons, AQA and CIE) completing a variety of roles, from verifying coursework to exam marking and leading exam markers.
Both teaching and exam board commitments compliment each other, seeing the teaching misconceptions and to get the exam marks, with great success in my teaching.
I have a good understanding of assessment needs to qualify for the higher Level questions in exam papers which have proven successful (primarily focusing on the command verbs in the question) which can be a focus within the online lessons.
I have worked in the commercial business world and gained experience before moving into my passion for teaching. I want to concentrate on turning students I Can't statements into I Can, I believe that everyone has the potential to achieve they just need the correct guidance and that all important Mindset. Each student is different and gains the knowledge and understanding in different ways, as a tutor it is my job to find that way and release that potential.
My approach to teaching is to find the right method for the student. I believe each student has their own style of learning and we need to harness that style in order to succeed. I discuss the needs of the student and then assess the ability through a test. From the results I create a individual learning plan, using this plan we work together to find the best learning style ( practical, theory based, written, spoken, mix of styles) to turn the student from a knowledge and understanding into a expert and evaluator. I aim to have my students having a positive growth mindset and leave saying I Can do that!
My passion for teaching is evident; I am constantly looking for innovative ways of teaching students and have recently gained many viewers on my YouTube channel which talks through exam-style questions and techniques.
Computer Science and ICT Teacher for 5+ years
GCSE Computer Science 84% A*-C
GCSE ICT 80% A*- C
A Level ICT 75% A-C
GCSE Computing: 89% A* to C grade with 53% achieving an A* or A
ICT A level: 80% A-C
Cambridge Technicals: 100% D*-P
ECDL: 100% D*- P
o English as a Second Language Tutor
• Teaching and communicating English as a second language in online classes to young learners in China. This involves the use of company proprietary software which includes videos, audio, and drawing tools.
o Law Lecturer
• Successfully teaching ILEX, A’ Level, BTEC and NVQ Law at the University of West Herts to learners in evening adult classes and for younger adult learners in the daytime.
• Using the SMARTboard, PowerPoint and proprietary Visual aids to teach a diverse audience of learners with varying needs. Researched video content relevant to the subject in hand.
o British Sign Language Communicator
• Teaching and assisting Deaf learners and Deaf employee clientele in schools, colleges and The Ministry of Justice to understand and carry out their educational and employment commitment by accessing the English Language from their employer and the curriculum.
• Translating and modifying the English language with sign language, word simplification, visuals, symbols and gesticulation for Deaf clientele who have a limited or non-existent vocabulary of English.
o Sign Language Tutor
• Tutoring two groups of Sign Language students in the week and at the weekends to learn—British Language (BSL) and Sign Support Language (SSE).
o Vocal Teacher
• Motivate and train three classes of students for vocal performances scheduled at the Royal Albert Hall.
• Tutor individual and group singing while instilling confidence to successfully sell a show to an audience.