Significant tutoring experience - tutoring has been my main job since 2012. I have experience teaching one-on-one in person and online, as well providing seminars, workshops, and coaching in schools and at public events.
I hope my experience in online tutoring has demonstrated that I am sufficiently organised and engaging, to provide an enjoyable distance-learning experience. Online teaching is an unusual medium - both distant and intimate at once. I hope that, over the years, I have learnt to strike a decent balance and provide strong online support.
Professional teaching experience
I am a professional teacher of English, with 4 years of experience in both state and independent sectors. In my teacher training (through the prestigious Teach First Leadership Development Programme), I gained a distinction, and have been promoted every year of my teaching career. In my previous school, I ran staff training sessions to improve teaching practice for high ability students, and worked as a coach for fellow teachers. I have taught GCSE, IGCSE, A Level and IB qualifications, as well as coaching and mentoring students through UCAS and Oxbridge Entrance. In my teaching role until now I have had little time for paid tuition, but working on-on-one with students outside of class time is part of my daily practice as a teacher, especially when students are struggling or need extra challenge. I have worked extensively with a wide range of ages (11-18) and abilities, as well as with SEN and EAL students.
Paid tuition work outside of teaching
Currently, I tutor one student outside of school as she has needed extra support due to English being her second language. Previously, I tutored a student on creative writing techniques - this is a particular interest of mine.
I have been teaching for over 17 years and tutoring for 6 years.
o English as a Second Language Tutor
• Teaching and communicating English as a second language in online classes to young learners in China. This involves the use of company proprietary software which includes videos, audio, and drawing tools.
o Law Lecturer
• Successfully teaching ILEX, A’ Level, BTEC and NVQ Law at the University of West Herts to learners in evening adult classes and for younger adult learners in the daytime.
• Using the SMARTboard, PowerPoint and proprietary Visual aids to teach a diverse audience of learners with varying needs. Researched video content relevant to the subject in hand.
o British Sign Language Communicator
• Teaching and assisting Deaf learners and Deaf employee clientele in schools, colleges and The Ministry of Justice to understand and carry out their educational and employment commitment by accessing the English Language from their employer and the curriculum.
• Translating and modifying the English language with sign language, word simplification, visuals, symbols and gesticulation for Deaf clientele who have a limited or non-existent vocabulary of English.
o Sign Language Tutor
• Tutoring two groups of Sign Language students in the week and at the weekends to learn—British Language (BSL) and Sign Support Language (SSE).
o Vocal Teacher
• Motivate and train three classes of students for vocal performances scheduled at the Royal Albert Hall.
• Tutor individual and group singing while instilling confidence to successfully sell a show to an audience.
CHARTERED FELLOW of THE INSTITUTE OF LINGUISTS | http://www.ciol.org.uk/member-check?id=34041
June 2018 – Present | Open University | Associate Lecturer – E309 Comparative Studies in Primary Education
Sep 2015 – Present | Online Exclusive Academic Writing & IELTS Private Tutor
Sep 2005 – Sept 2013 | Deree College – The American College of Greece | Adjunct Preceptor – Academic Writing
July – Sep 2002 – 2004 | Oxford University | EAP Lecturer
Sept 2002 – June 2004 | University of Portsmouth | EAP & IELTS Lecturer
April – June 2002 | University Of Surrey | EAP & IELTS Lecturer
Oct 2001 – June 2002 | Oxford Brookes University | EAP & IELTS Lecturer
Aug 2001 – June 2002 | Aston University | EAP & IELTS Lecturer
Sept 2000 – June 2001 | Lycee Franco Hellenique | EFL & Literature Teacher
Sep 1992 – June 1998 | School of Foreign Languages: S. Kυriazopoulou | EFL Teacher
July 2008 – June 2015 | Bokos Exclusive IELTS Language InstitutE | Owner & Director
Sep 2009 – Sep 2013 | Deree College – The American College of Greece | Module Leader & Business English Coordinator
Sep 1994 – June 1998 | School of Foreign Languages: S. Kiriazopoulou (150 students) | Director of Studies