I have 22 years of experience in tutoring learners to achieve their goals. I tutor GCSE, A-Level, EPQ, IB, PRE-U, Undergraduate, Postgraduate/Doctoral students, UCAS and Oxbridge applicants, and professional clients in Academic Research and Writing, Creative Industries, Critical Thinking, Cultural Studies, Education, Film, Government and Politics, Marketing, Media, Oxbridge Entrance/UCAS, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Theology, Theory of Knowledge, and Social Sciences.
I combine two decades of experience in the education sector with my earlier career in the creative industries to offer engaging learning opportunities relevant to our daily lives. I am a passionate advocate of 'affective' learning and well-being through creativity, critical inquiry and philosophical reasoning. I invite you to engage in these ways of thinking that can empower you with relevant skills to support your personal growth. I have extensive experience in tutoring GCSE, A-Level, PRE-U, EPQ, Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Professional learners. My presentation style is engaging and interactive. I convert complicated theories and paradigms into straightforward ideas, with practical worth, and impart useful advice for my clients.
My earliest stint with teaching dates back more than a decade when I helped my mother take private tuition at home. Fast forward to 2017 when I was conducting workshops in my MBA school to help students prepare for their semester exams (in subjects such as Financial Markets, Corporate Finance, etc.). In order for me to be able to explain the subject matter, I need not just be well read. I need to be well spoken as well. I am a voracious reader and a passionate public speaker and have represented my school and college at the national level in different competitions. Brewing my interest in the incessant world of finance, I cleared my CFA and FRM Level 1 exams in the very first attempt and am currently awaiting the results for my CFA L2 exams. I have been a subject matter expert reviewer (Finance) for Study.com wherein I reviewed 2500 questions in a span of 6 months (of which 2499 reviews were correct). Of late, I have been a finance tutor on Chegg USA and have completed 200 odd lessons with a 100% success rate.
I have over 7 years' of teaching and tutoring experience including:
* for ages 14-18- providing GCSE, A level and IB tuition in Law, English, Business Studies and Philosophy. I also help students apply for university, draft personal statements, obtain legal work experience and generally improve their academic writing skills ready for university;
* for aspiring lawyers- teaching LLB, LLM, GDL, BPTC and LPC modules including admissions tests such as the LNAT and BCAT, obtaining vacation scheme placements, work experience, pro bono work, mini-pupillages, training contracts and pupillage;
* for non-law students ages 18+- teaching English, Politics, Philosophy, Business Studies, Film Studies and Media Studies; and
* for professionals- teaching professional mediation and conflict resolution courses, teaching business English for professionals working in the UK and helping professionals write CVs, apply for jobs and perfect job interview techniques.
2016-18, Tutor in Evolution & Social Evolution (taught 27 undergraduates in 1:1 or 2:1 sessions) on topics of Social
Evolution & Major Evolutionary Transitions, University of Oxford
2016-17, Demonstrator for the “Organisms - Invertebrate Practicals” course run by Jonathan Green, Department of
Zoology, University of Oxford (involved in demonstrating, dissections & marking)
2017-18, Invigilator for undergraduate student exams, New College, University of Oxford
2017, Demonstrator for the “Tree of Life” practical run by Sebastian Shimeld, Department of Zoology, University of
Oxford, (involved in demonstrating, DNA extractions, PCR reactions, gel electrophoresis & sequencing)
2015, Demonstrator for an “Experimental Evolution Practical” course run by William Durham, Department of
Zoology, University of Oxford
I have been teaching research methods and supporting both undergraduates and postgraduates with research-based dissertations and academic writing since 2004. Much of this support has been conducted on-line over the last three years.
In my 19 years as a teacher, I have taught writing and English literature to students in IB, AP, College, and University. I have also worked for many years as a professional writer for many businesses and institutions, and believe that I therefore more able to offer tools, techniques, and strategies that writers actually use to communicate meaningfully and effectively.
As an English teacher, I believe that many people are under the mistaken belief that you're either born a writer or you're not. That is a myth. Instead, what I try to reinforce is that writing IS work for EVERYONE, and that the trick is to recognize it as a process. Personally, while I have won awards in my professional career as a writer, I have NEVER once written something that was great the first time I wrote it. And while there is no magic formula to great writing, there are some very real skills and strategies that I have learned as a writer which I believe make me uniquely qualified to teach students to be successful in whatever assessment or assignment they may be working on.
I have also taught IB film since it was in its pilot program, and guided hundreds of students through the assessments, either in my own face-to-face classrooms or as an online teacher for Pamoja Education. l work as a team leader and examiner for IB so I am one of the people who grades the actual assessments once they are submitted.
In addition, I currently teach a number of college film courses in feminist and queer film theory, which, in addition to film history and analysis, is an area I am particularly interested in.
o English as a Second Language Tutor
• Teaching and communicating English as a second language in online classes to young learners in China. This involves the use of company proprietary software which includes videos, audio, and drawing tools.
o Law Lecturer
• Successfully teaching ILEX, A’ Level, BTEC and NVQ Law at the University of West Herts to learners in evening adult classes and for younger adult learners in the daytime.
• Using the SMARTboard, PowerPoint and proprietary Visual aids to teach a diverse audience of learners with varying needs. Researched video content relevant to the subject in hand.
o British Sign Language Communicator
• Teaching and assisting Deaf learners and Deaf employee clientele in schools, colleges and The Ministry of Justice to understand and carry out their educational and employment commitment by accessing the English Language from their employer and the curriculum.
• Translating and modifying the English language with sign language, word simplification, visuals, symbols and gesticulation for Deaf clientele who have a limited or non-existent vocabulary of English.
o Sign Language Tutor
• Tutoring two groups of Sign Language students in the week and at the weekends to learn—British Language (BSL) and Sign Support Language (SSE).
o Vocal Teacher
• Motivate and train three classes of students for vocal performances scheduled at the Royal Albert Hall.
• Tutor individual and group singing while instilling confidence to successfully sell a show to an audience.
I have been a Teaching Assistant at King's College London for two years at the Department of History and Business. I have assisted Undegraduate students preparing for exams, and corrected their essays while delivering power point lectures on subjects from 1700 to 1989. I am competent to teach any subject/period of history-
I have taught A-Levels and GSCEs for 4 years
I have taught adults and bilinguals for more than 10 years
I have experience with SEN students, and students who need some inspiration to study.