I am a full-time Computer Science teacher and guide my daytime students to impressive grades in Computing. My keenest students in years 9 and 10 are already working towards an AS-Level in Computer Science to supplement and support the GCSE course. I set my students' goals high.
I'm very adept at helping students cut through confusion, focus on precise language and find the focus in theory topics to deliver mark-scheme friendly answers in examinations.
Firstly, it is crucial with exam based subjects that a tutee should target qualified teachers (with QTS) as they have conversed with the current changes that have taken place with GCSE and A-Levels. They are aware of syllabus amendments and have a range of tools to support how to interpret command verbs within the exam.
I am a qualified teacher (with QTS) that has over 10 years leading several departments in Computing, Business, ICT and Design across a range of qualifications and exam boards. As a result of this and exam board work (working as an exam marker), I feel I understand what is required to pass the exams.
The exam board experience stems over a range of exam boards (OCR, Pearsons, AQA and CIE) completing a variety of roles, from verifying coursework to exam marking and leading exam markers.
Both teaching and exam board commitments compliment each other, seeing the teaching misconceptions and to get the exam marks, with great success in my teaching.
I have a good understanding of assessment needs to qualify for the higher Level questions in exam papers which have proven successful (primarily focusing on the command verbs in the question) which can be a focus within the online lessons.
I have 22 years of experience in tutoring learners to achieve their goals. I tutor GCSE, A-Level/PRE-U, EPQ, Undergraduate, Postgraduate/Doctoral students and professional clients in Academic Research and Writing, Creative Industries, Critical Thinking, Cultural Studies, Education, Government and Politics, Marketing, Oxbridge Entrance/UCAS, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Theology, and Social Sciences.
I combine two decades of experience in the education sector with my earlier career in the creative industries to offer engaging learning opportunities relevant to our daily lives. I am a passionate advocate of 'affective' learning and well-being through creativity, critical inquiry and philosophical reasoning. I invite you to engage in these ways of thinking that can empower you with relevant skills to support your personal growth. I have extensive experience in tutoring GCSE, A-Level, PRE-U, EPQ, Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Professional learners. My presentation style is engaging and interactive. I convert complicated theories and paradigms into straightforward ideas, with practical worth, and impart useful advice for my clients.
Providing IT tuition as part of existing work roles for past 19 years.
I have been a professional film maker for over 14 years for both corporate and film drama.
I have been teaching in classrooms and one-to-one settings since 2010. I particularly enjoy the chance to work creatively with individually with students to help them reach their full potential. Most recently, I have been working with university English literature students with their studies in environmental literature, 19th and early 20th century literature and poetry and with their dissertation projects. I have previously helped A-level, GCSE, IGCSE and university students and adult learners to flourish in their academic studies.
o English as a Second Language Tutor
• Teaching and communicating English as a second language in online classes to young learners in China. This involves the use of company proprietary software which includes videos, audio, and drawing tools.
o Law Lecturer
• Successfully teaching ILEX, A’ Level, BTEC and NVQ Law at the University of West Herts to learners in evening adult classes and for younger adult learners in the daytime.
• Using the SMARTboard, PowerPoint and proprietary Visual aids to teach a diverse audience of learners with varying needs. Researched video content relevant to the subject in hand.
o British Sign Language Communicator
• Teaching and assisting Deaf learners and Deaf employee clientele in schools, colleges and The Ministry of Justice to understand and carry out their educational and employment commitment by accessing the English Language from their employer and the curriculum.
• Translating and modifying the English language with sign language, word simplification, visuals, symbols and gesticulation for Deaf clientele who have a limited or non-existent vocabulary of English.
o Sign Language Tutor
• Tutoring two groups of Sign Language students in the week and at the weekends to learn—British Language (BSL) and Sign Support Language (SSE).
o Vocal Teacher
• Motivate and train three classes of students for vocal performances scheduled at the Royal Albert Hall.
• Tutor individual and group singing while instilling confidence to successfully sell a show to an audience.
CHARTERED FELLOW of THE INSTITUTE OF LINGUISTS | http://www.ciol.org.uk/member-check?id=34041
June 2018 – Present | Open University | Associate Lecturer – E309 Comparative Studies in Primary Education
Sep 2015 – Present | Online Exclusive Academic Writing & IELTS Private Tutor
Sep 2005 – Sept 2013 | Deree College – The American College of Greece | Adjunct Preceptor – Academic Writing
July – Sep 2002 – 2004 | Oxford University | EAP Lecturer
Sept 2002 – June 2004 | University of Portsmouth | EAP & IELTS Lecturer
April – June 2002 | University Of Surrey | EAP & IELTS Lecturer
Oct 2001 – June 2002 | Oxford Brookes University | EAP & IELTS Lecturer
Aug 2001 – June 2002 | Aston University | EAP & IELTS Lecturer
Sept 2000 – June 2001 | Lycee Franco Hellenique | EFL & Literature Teacher
Sep 1992 – June 1998 | School of Foreign Languages: S. Kυriazopoulou | EFL Teacher
July 2008 – June 2015 | Bokos Exclusive IELTS Language InstitutE | Owner & Director
Sep 2009 – Sep 2013 | Deree College – The American College of Greece | Module Leader & Business English Coordinator
Sep 1994 – June 1998 | School of Foreign Languages: S. Kiriazopoulou (150 students) | Director of Studies
I have been tutoring since for over ten years. Director of Shacademy Ltd/The SHAC 2008-2013. A creative workshop company I set up in her home town of Devon with young people in rural & urban communities. Shacademy ran workshops & tuition sessions in London & Devon. I then chose to focus on a career as a writer and specifically reduced my remit of 500 students a week to one to one sessions, building a reputation as a leading LAMDA tutor, working in London and internationally to prepare for LAMDA exams, support and inspire creative writing, presentation skills, public speaking and preparation for interviews.