I've worked successfully as a tutor for GCSE and A-Level students for a number of years now, helping them drastically improve their grades. I've also done considerable work as a university supervisor and mentor for undergraduate, master's, and first-year doctoral students at the University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, and other institutions. My expertise is in university admissions, and I have recently written a bestselling book on History admissions for Oxford, the Ultimate History Aptitude Test Guide.
My approach is mainly trust based, my students are often amazed by just how much they can do for themselves if they're in a learning environment that isn't adversarial, oppressive, or plain dull. Beyond A-Level, I also have teaching experience at the University of Oxford as a tutor and seminar leader for undergraduate history and sociology students, and I have degrees in both Archaeology and History. My background of experience is technological, and I work as a civilian consultant to the NASA Ames Human Factors laboratory in that capacity. Central to my approach is an understanding that my students are people, with their own unique strengths, weaknesses, and abilities, which need to be nurtured and supported in order to get the best possible results.
In this way, learning can, and should be of a reciprocal exchange of ideas, and by embracing this in a more relaxed and curiosity-driven approach, it becomes far easier for many to explore, absorb, and abstract their understanding of both the surface learning of school qualifications, and the deep learning of the concepts behind them crucial to getting the very highest grades.
For many years I have been working with learners around the world.
Examples of my recent work include;
University College of London
• I researched and designed 2 Pre-M.B.A. M.O.O.C.s, one in ‘Management Skills for International Business’ and the other in ‘Professional Skills and Networking’.
• My responsibilities included the provision of; research sources/links, quizzes, case study assessments and filmed presentations and interviews
• To date almost 30,000 students have enrolled to complete these 2 M.O.O.C.s
Kaplan Open Learning (University of Essex on Line)
• I am tutor for the Core Skills and Employability, Business Finance, Financial Decision Making, Human Resource Management, Business Planning and Introduction to Finance Modules.
• I work with cohorts of 10-25 students facilitating their learning and assessing their Assignments and participation in Discussion Forums
• For over 10 years I have consistently delivering student satisfaction levels of more than 90%
• over 30 years’ experience, as a distance learning tutor
• I always look to inspire student learning and engagement by offering detailed feedback and support via a range of delivery channels
• I work with C.I.P.D. modules at Levels 3,5 and 7 and as an A Level Economics Tutor
• I also facilitate monthly on-line classes at Levels 3,5 and 7
Coleg y Cymoedd
• I have responsibility for Cohorts from both Private and Public Sectors, usually of 10-12 Level 5 C.I.P.D. students
• I work with each Cohort through a blended learning programme consisting of workshop delivery and ongoing on-line support
• feedback from my students has been extremely positive
University College of Estate Management, Reading
• I am aTutor in Economics (Level 4). I facilitate optimum levels of student engagement whilst managing the completion and quality of all assessed work within agreed deadlines
• I am also a Tutor for People and Organisational Management (Level 4) with responsibility for motivating, guiding and supporting up to 80 students through their studies
As an Associate Lecturer in English Literarure at Tübingen University, Germany I have designed and taught courses on Working Class British Fiction; Twentieth and Twenty-First Century Migration Literature; Twentieth Century American Poetry; Romantic Poetry; Post-War British Drama; Shakespeare.
I have also led seminars and tutored at UCL, and have been a private tutor since 2015.
I have been a professional tutor since 2006.
Across all of the different subjects I teach, I always notice the same thing: the main difficulty that learners encounter is getting overwhelmed by what they're trying to learn. It could be that there seems to be simply too much material to cover; it could be that the concepts seem too difficult; it could be that the whole thing causes anxiety for some completely different reason which is apparently unrelated to the 'academic' side of things.
I help remove anxiety, regardless of what form it might take, in whatever way seems like it will help each individual most. Before long, it becomes possible to see the task in hand with different eyes – indeed, more importantly, at this point most of my students come to see their own abilities entirely differently. They may have come to me with a fixed idea of what they are 'bad' at, but I help them to realise that they have skills they hardly suspected.
I am a highly qualified and experienced tutor of English and the Humanities with a PhD in English Literature and Creative Writing from the University of Manchester.
I have experience tutoring all humanities and social science subjects to a high standard up to degree level. I have a lot of experience preparing students for exams and an exemplary record in improving their grades and confidence quickly. This year on average my GCSE students improved by more than 2 grades.
Many of my students are being home educated, or need some extra support aside from exams, and I specialise in being a flexible tutor, who can teach a variety of subjects in engaging ways. I have designed curriculum for home educated students and figured out ways to incorporate education into games, projects and experiments. I love working with parents and children to find what they need from education.
I also particularly focus on special needs tutoring, including home-schooled students, and those with a variety of additional needs. I have many students with dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties. Additionally, I have a lot of academic experience in Disability Studies. I have a Dyslexia Training Certificate, a Certificate in Specific Learning Difficulties and have passed the core modules from The National Autistic Society.