|Recent Students: 1||Total Hours: 0||Last Online: 23 Nov 2020|
|All-time Students: 1||Total Classes: 0||Signed Up: 26 Apr 2020|
I hold an MSc in Electronic Physics from the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) in California, USA, and a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens, Greece. After serving for 14 years as a Naval Officer and 3 years as a Naval Faculty member, I decided to pursue my passion for a career in the Academic field. For over the last 8 years, I have been teaching courses in electrical and electronic engineering at different Academic organizations. Currently, I am a Lecturer at the Hellenic Naval Academy and an Academic Associate at the University of West Attica and the Metropolitan College of Athens. Regarding activity as a researcher, I am a Research Associate at the Manhattan College, USA, and the National Centre for Security Studies, GREECE, where I have been coordinating EU research programs related to sensor platforms.
- Lecturer at the Hellenic Naval Academy, Sector of Electronics and Telecommunication (2012 - Present)
- Teaching Digital Electronics to the 4th year naval cadets (basic teaching material: Digital Design and complex digital Systems) (2015-Present)
- Teaching antennas theory and laboratory to the 4th year naval cadets (basic teaching material: EM waves, SWR in waveguides, antenna radiation patterns and phased array analysis) (2013-Present)
- Teaching the electronic physics aspect and analysis of electro-optical systems to the 3rd year naval cadets (January 2018 - Present)
- Teaching Combat systems operation to the 4th year naval cadets (2012-2013)
- Experience as thesis advisor on subjects of a) Electronic analysis of a prototype Radar (2016) and b) Terahertz applications for national security (2019).
- Academic Associate at the University of West Athens / Teaching laboratory exercises of complex electrical Circuits and conducting research into optimization methods of microbolometers (2019 - Present)
- Instructor at the Metropolitan College (University of Southampton ) / Teaching Electrical Engineering and Electronics, Instrumentation and Control Courses (2019 - Present)
My subject expertise is focused on Optimization methods for improving the absorption capability of the Infrared radiation. This Subject has also been a special chapter of a textbook being taught at the Hellenic Naval Academy '' Christos Bolakis and Ioannis Koukos,” Electro – Οptical Systems. An Ιntroduction,” Τextbook for the Hellenic Naval Academy, Piraeus, Greece (2018)''.
My overall Subject Expertise can be depicted in the following Publications:
- Christos Bolakis, “Designing an adjustable THz absorber,” Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33 (9), pp. 1121 (2019)
- C. Bolakis, IS Karanasiou, et al., “Optimizing the Absorption Capability of a Microbolometer Pixel’s Active Element,” International Journal of Electromagnetics and Applications, Vol. 9 (1), pp. 1 (2019)
- C Bolakis, IS Karanasiou, D. Grbovic, G. Karunasiri and N. Uzunoglu, "Optimizing detection methods for terahertz bio-imaging applications," Optical Engineering, Vol. 54 (6), pp. 067107 (2015)
- C. Bolakis, D. Grbovic and G. Karunasiri, “Design and characterization of terahertz-absorbing Nano-laminates of dielectric and metal thin films,” Optics Express, Vol. 18 (14), pp. 14488 (2010)
- C. Bolakis, C. N. Vazouras, G. Giakos et al., ‘’ Design of a dual-thermal window micro-bolometric pixel element,’’ Microwave and Optical Technology Letters (Submitted Feb 2020)
- Excellence in research award from the Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (2010)
- Outstanding thesis award from the Naval Postgraduate School (2010)
- Chief of the Hellenic Naval Academy due to the highest GPA (2002 - 2003)
- Graduated from the National school of academic trainers training (Jun - Jul 2017)
- Reviewer at the “Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications” (Jun 2017 - Present)