I am an experienced educator, with a specialism in Geography/Environmental Science, as well as STEM in industry and Psychology. I have been a qualified teacher since 2008 and worked with children aged 4-18 in schools in the UK as well as international schools in East Timor and the Philippines. I currently manage an education service which specialises in providing students (5-18) with practical learning experiences to help them understand the links between what they learn in school and the relevance of these subjects in industry.
In addition, I am a qualified fitness instructor (2007) and Strength & Conditioning Coach. I have worked with students in schools as well as with adults both in group settings and on a one to one basis.
I am a CELTA-qualified teacher, English native speaker and Masters graduate with a broad range of teaching experience, including business English, teaching children and adults, exam preparation, intensive classes and project-based learning. I have taught various levels and class sizes and am skilled at adapting my methods to individual learners. In addition to English, I have taught French, German and Russian, all of which I speak at a C1/C2 level.
In a number of teaching roles, including my current one teaching adult refugees, I have gained experience with a wide range of learner groups and teaching approaches. Having worked sometimes with pre-set curricula but often with the freedom to design my own curriculum, I have built up experience in creating learning programmes that teach and assess material in an engaging, memorable and meaningful way. As a volunteer for online high school Sky School, where I've helped to build the 'English for Changemakers' module, I've gained an insight into how distance education works, what platforms are available for it, and how it can be made impactful for learners.
o English as a Second Language Tutor
• Teaching and communicating English as a second language in online classes to young learners in China. This involves the use of company proprietary software which includes videos, audio, and drawing tools.
o Law Lecturer
• Successfully teaching ILEX, A’ Level, BTEC and NVQ Law at the University of West Herts to learners in evening adult classes and for younger adult learners in the daytime.
• Using the SMARTboard, PowerPoint and proprietary Visual aids to teach a diverse audience of learners with varying needs. Researched video content relevant to the subject in hand.
o British Sign Language Communicator
• Teaching and assisting Deaf learners and Deaf employee clientele in schools, colleges and The Ministry of Justice to understand and carry out their educational and employment commitment by accessing the English Language from their employer and the curriculum.
• Translating and modifying the English language with sign language, word simplification, visuals, symbols and gesticulation for Deaf clientele who have a limited or non-existent vocabulary of English.
o Sign Language Tutor
• Tutoring two groups of Sign Language students in the week and at the weekends to learn—British Language (BSL) and Sign Support Language (SSE).
o Vocal Teacher
• Motivate and train three classes of students for vocal performances scheduled at the Royal Albert Hall.
• Tutor individual and group singing while instilling confidence to successfully sell a show to an audience.