I am a professional tutor who graduated from Cambridge with a 1st class BA degree and an MPhil in Education and Literature - I have been tutoring ever since.
I tailor my tutoring to best fit my student's needs and learning style. With extensive experience ranging from primary to undergraduate students, I am confident tutoring for students of different ability and interest levels.
As a published academic writer with experience of private school and Oxbridge admissions processes, I am further confident tutoring to an extremely high level of tuition for a number of top-level schools and universities. Past students have gone on to study at Harrow, Eton, a number of London private schools and of course Oxford and Cambridge, among other universities.
My successes with students are not only due to my own expertise, however, but to my passion for inspiring a love of English in my students as well! During our time together my students not only come to feel more confident in the subject, but also to enjoy it!
I'm an enthusiastic teacher with lots of experience working with young people of different ages and abilities. As well as tutoring English, Latin and Classics to students from primary to degree level, I've taught drama to teenagers and English at IB summer schools. I'm familiar with the AQA, OCR, Edexcel and WJEC exam boards. I believe that I've got the creativity, organisation and communication skills that make a good tutor, as well as specialised knowledge and heaps of enthusiasm!
I have 14 YEARS of TEACHING EXPERIENCE. This has encompassed ALL AGES (preschool to adults) and abilities (BEGINNER to POSTGRADUATE). Subjects I've taught are: GCSE & A Level (Music, Business Studies, Media Studies, Maths), British Primary School Curriculum (Maths, English), Admissions Tests (11+, 12+, 13+, 16+, SAT, GRE), American Elementary School Curriculum (Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, etc.), Preschool (Numeracy & Literacy), English proficiency tests (IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge YLE), Business English, Academic Writing/Composition & Presentations, English Conversation, Grammar, University & Job Applications, Project-Based Learning (PBL), Music Theory & Analysis, Improvisation & Jazz, Saxophone, & Piano. Additionally, I have worked in all kinds of SETTINGS at both public & private primary & secondary schools, universities, adult learning centres, cram schools, businesses, within the home (as a residential home school & a private tutor) and online (to students worldwide). In addition, I have served as the Head of English & PBL at a private elementary & junior high school, as the Academic Director of a test prep centre, and have provided educational consultancy & tutor training to Oxford's oldest tutorial college.
I have over 7 years' of teaching and tutoring experience including:
* for ages 14-18- providing GCSE, A level and IB tuition in Law, English, Business Studies and Philosophy. I also help students apply for university, draft personal statements, obtain legal work experience and generally improve their academic writing skills ready for university;
* for aspiring lawyers- teaching LLB, LLM, GDL, BPTC and LPC modules including admissions tests such as the LNAT and BCAT, obtaining vacation scheme placements, work experience, pro bono work, mini-pupillages, training contracts and pupillage;
* for non-law students ages 18+- teaching English, Politics, Philosophy, Business Studies, Film Studies and Media Studies; and
* for professionals- teaching professional mediation and conflict resolution courses, teaching business English for professionals working in the UK and helping professionals write CVs, apply for jobs and perfect job interview techniques.
I have 10 years of experience working as a Private Tutor in Cheltenham Spa, London, Moscow and internationally. My experience has ranged from working as a Governess and Residential Tutor for UHNW and VVIP families, to working as an outreach tutor for children with SEN and behavioural difficulties, to working overseas with children who have been victims of trauma and conflict.
For the last 5 years, I have continuously been teaching online, and have taught students as young as 5 years of age, right up to experienced business professionals and retired language learners. This experience has taught me vital strategies in engaging students online, built upon an understanding of age, learning style, objectives, technical abilities, personalities and attention span! In every case, I have built a strong positive rapport with clients and have frequently continued to stay in touch with clients or families even after they have passed their exams or succeeded in their objectives.
I have been tutoring for over 20 years and was Head of Department and teacher of English in a leading online school for ten years. I have taught all aspects of English Language and Literature from providing assistance at undergraduate level, through A Levels and GCSEs, down to KS1. What I love about tutoring one-to-one is the building up of a personal relationship with a student and seeing them gain confidence and develop. Every student is different and learns in a different way, and I have a firm belief that, given the right teacher, everyone can do really well in English. I have also taught History to GCSE and KS3 and run Drama groups, and have participated in additional tutoring for LAMDA.
I have 2 TEFL certificates and have tutored for IELTS/TOEFL/C2 as well as having taught practical conversational English to mixed age/ability groups.
Worked regularly as a tutor alongside my work as an outstanding English teacher, particularly experienced in helping students achieve high grades in IAs and Extended Essays.
o English as a Second Language Tutor
• Teaching and communicating English as a second language in online classes to young learners in China. This involves the use of company proprietary software which includes videos, audio, and drawing tools.
o Law Lecturer
• Successfully teaching ILEX, A’ Level, BTEC and NVQ Law at the University of West Herts to learners in evening adult classes and for younger adult learners in the daytime.
• Using the SMARTboard, PowerPoint and proprietary Visual aids to teach a diverse audience of learners with varying needs. Researched video content relevant to the subject in hand.
o British Sign Language Communicator
• Teaching and assisting Deaf learners and Deaf employee clientele in schools, colleges and The Ministry of Justice to understand and carry out their educational and employment commitment by accessing the English Language from their employer and the curriculum.
• Translating and modifying the English language with sign language, word simplification, visuals, symbols and gesticulation for Deaf clientele who have a limited or non-existent vocabulary of English.
o Sign Language Tutor
• Tutoring two groups of Sign Language students in the week and at the weekends to learn—British Language (BSL) and Sign Support Language (SSE).
o Vocal Teacher
• Motivate and train three classes of students for vocal performances scheduled at the Royal Albert Hall.
• Tutor individual and group singing while instilling confidence to successfully sell a show to an audience.