I am a professional tutor who graduated from Cambridge with a 1st class BA degree and an MPhil in Education and Literature - I have been tutoring ever since.
I tailor my tutoring to best fit my student's needs and learning style. With extensive experience ranging from primary to undergraduate students, I am confident tutoring for students of different ability and interest levels.
As a published academic writer with experience of private school and Oxbridge admissions processes, I am further confident tutoring to an extremely high level of tuition for a number of top-level schools and universities. Past students have gone on to study at Harrow, Eton, a number of London private schools and of course Oxford and Cambridge, among other universities.
My successes with students are not only due to my own expertise, however, but to my passion for inspiring a love of English in my students as well! During our time together my students not only come to feel more confident in the subject, but also to enjoy it!
Having been tutored myself in the past, I understand what being in a pupil's shoes is like. From there I then started tutoring after having developed a passion in education and learning. I have since tutored children as young as five to adults from a wide range of ages. This means that not only have I learnt how to adapt my teaching from individual to individual but also to adapt my level of tutoring based on age and/or past experience in the subjects that I tutor.
The last student I tutored on Spires achieved an A at A level French.
I have been tutoring for over 20 years and was Head of Department and teacher of English in a leading online school for ten years. I have taught all aspects of English Language and Literature from providing assistance at undergraduate level, through A Levels and GCSEs, down to KS1. What I love about tutoring one-to-one is the building up of a personal relationship with a student and seeing them gain confidence and develop. Every student is different and learns in a different way, and I have a firm belief that, given the right teacher, everyone can do really well in English. I have also taught History to GCSE and KS3 and run Drama groups, and have participated in additional tutoring for LAMDA.
I have 2 TEFL certificates and have tutored for IELTS/TOEFL/C2 as well as having taught practical conversational English to mixed age/ability groups.
o English as a Second Language Tutor
• Teaching and communicating English as a second language in online classes to young learners in China. This involves the use of company proprietary software which includes videos, audio, and drawing tools.
o Law Lecturer
• Successfully teaching ILEX, A’ Level, BTEC and NVQ Law at the University of West Herts to learners in evening adult classes and for younger adult learners in the daytime.
• Using the SMARTboard, PowerPoint and proprietary Visual aids to teach a diverse audience of learners with varying needs. Researched video content relevant to the subject in hand.
o British Sign Language Communicator
• Teaching and assisting Deaf learners and Deaf employee clientele in schools, colleges and The Ministry of Justice to understand and carry out their educational and employment commitment by accessing the English Language from their employer and the curriculum.
• Translating and modifying the English language with sign language, word simplification, visuals, symbols and gesticulation for Deaf clientele who have a limited or non-existent vocabulary of English.
o Sign Language Tutor
• Tutoring two groups of Sign Language students in the week and at the weekends to learn—British Language (BSL) and Sign Support Language (SSE).
o Vocal Teacher
• Motivate and train three classes of students for vocal performances scheduled at the Royal Albert Hall.
• Tutor individual and group singing while instilling confidence to successfully sell a show to an audience.
I am a highly qualified and experienced tutor of English and the Humanities with a PhD in English Literature and Creative Writing from the University of Manchester.
I have experience tutoring all humanities and social science subjects to a high standard up to degree level. I have a lot of experience preparing students for exams and an exemplary record in improving their grades and confidence quickly. This year on average my GCSE students improved by more than 2 grades.
Many of my students are being home educated, or need some extra support aside from exams, and I specialise in being a flexible tutor, who can teach a variety of subjects in engaging ways. I have designed curriculum for home educated students and figured out ways to incorporate education into games, projects and experiments. I love working with parents and children to find what they need from education.
I also particularly focus on special needs tutoring, including home-schooled students, and those with a variety of additional needs. I have many students with dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties. Additionally, I have a lot of academic experience in Disability Studies. I have a Dyslexia Training Certificate, a Certificate in Specific Learning Difficulties and have passed the core modules from The National Autistic Society.
I have been teaching in classrooms and one-to-one settings since 2010. I particularly enjoy the chance to work creatively with individually with students to help them reach their full potential. Most recently, I have been working with university English literature students with their studies in environmental literature, 19th and early 20th century literature and poetry and with their dissertation projects. I have previously helped A-level, GCSE, IGCSE and university students and adult learners to flourish in their academic studies.