I have been tutoring and teaching for over 14 years, and over half of that has been spent in the position of Head of Science or assistant principal. I believe that I am easy to be around and students feel comfortable when working with me and are confident that they can ask any question, no matter how silly they may perceive it to be. I always try to think of relevant and engaging ways to tackle a topic to enable all abilities to understand.
Having left teaching in September 2018 to spend more time with my baby daughter, I've set up my own business that designs lesson resources for other teachers. This not only means that I have access to hundreds of resources that I share during lessons to back up the learning but also means that I'm aware of the intricacies and key details of all of the specifications, including the International ones
Gareth's last completed A Level Physical Education job with Julie: 1-2 hrs/week - My son got an A at GCSE and is a top rugby and football player and gym instructor qualified. He is doing A level at a private school (lower sixth). His coming exams first week of June are critical for his uni applications and at the moment to our shock his report predicts a D. He isnt a party animal ..just seems to be bored with it. We need someone to work alongside him and get his grade outlook up urgently. Would be keen to do some intensive work over the next 3 weeks easter hols but need to find someone he clicks with
Gareth's last review in A Level Physical Education from Julie: Whatever you think. Callum has said the exam technique was really helpful so please advise what he needs to learn ahead of time. Thanks so much J Really helped my son
Hi! I am a hugely experienced Tutor who holds a PGCert in HE and is accredited as a Fellow of the Higher Education Authority. I love to explore the ways in which different teaching methods and tasks can facilitate engagement and interaction in the virtual classroom (expect remote desktops and annotations). In my classrooms you can expect a clear sense of friendliness, with a good slice of humour.
My teaching (Sports Science, Research Methods, Public Health, Sociology, and Essay Writing) has regularly been commended via various channels of evaluation and feedback. Whilst my published research has been digested and utilised by a number of government organisations, including Public Health England, and the Department for Transport.
Lecturer in Sociology of Sport and Exercise, UoC Sport and Exercise Sciences Department (September 2014 – present)
- Module leader for Level 4 module - Research Methods and Study Skills.
- Area leader for Level 5 Experiential Based Learning module.
- Sociology of sport teaching across all undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Marking and moderating across all sociology of sport modules.
- Assessing on Level 4 pedagogy modules.
- Vast experience in online teaching (seminars, lectures, assignment forums).
- Leading our department’s ‘retention project’, aimed at assisting Level 4 students with course progression.
Editorial Assistant, European Physical Education Review Journal (November 2014 – August 2018)
- First point of contact at the journal for PE academics across the globe.
- Efficient management of submissions – assessing suitability of papers and detailed proofing.
- In-depth knowledge of the online manuscript management system.
- Peer reviewer.
Prior to my HE studies I worked as a Teaching Assistant at a secondary school in the West Midlands (rated 'Outstanding' by Ofsted).