Hi! I am a hugely experienced Tutor who holds a PGCert in HE and is accredited as a Fellow of the Higher Education Authority. I love to explore the ways in which different teaching methods and tasks can facilitate engagement and interaction in the virtual classroom (expect remote desktops and annotations). In my classrooms you can expect a clear sense of friendliness, with a good slice of humour.
My teaching (Sports Science, Research Methods, Public Health, Sociology, and Essay Writing) has regularly been commended via various channels of evaluation and feedback. Whilst my published research has been digested and utilised by a number of government organisations, including Public Health England, and the Department for Transport.
Lecturer in Sociology of Sport and Exercise, UoC Sport and Exercise Sciences Department (September 2014 – present)
- Module leader for Level 4 module - Research Methods and Study Skills.
- Area leader for Level 5 Experiential Based Learning module.
- Sociology of sport teaching across all undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Marking and moderating across all sociology of sport modules.
- Assessing on Level 4 pedagogy modules.
- Vast experience in online teaching (seminars, lectures, assignment forums).
- Leading our department’s ‘retention project’, aimed at assisting Level 4 students with course progression.
Editorial Assistant, European Physical Education Review Journal (November 2014 – August 2018)
- First point of contact at the journal for PE academics across the globe.
- Efficient management of submissions – assessing suitability of papers and detailed proofing.
- In-depth knowledge of the online manuscript management system.
- Peer reviewer.
Prior to my HE studies I worked as a Teaching Assistant at a secondary school in the West Midlands (rated 'Outstanding' by Ofsted).
My main tutoring work is in preparing students for the American standardized exams; I have experience with the SAT, SAT-2 (Subject Tests), ACT, GRE, GMAT, ISEE and SSAT. I have helped over 200 students with their exams; of these, more than one-third made successful applications to Ivy League schools or major business schools.
I specialise in Verbal for all tests and have a strong record of helping students accomplish top scores through my own system of strategies, fine-tuned for each individual for optimal results. Where applicable, I ensure all students have a rock-solid foundation and a whole tool kit of strategies designed specifically for each element of the test.
I have helped with the all of the aforementioned exams in a variety of different teaching scenarios. As well as working face to face, I have also taught extensively online via Skype. Numerous students have been apprentices with Premier League Youth Academies, including those at Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur, who have required particularly attentive tutoring to help them make up for gaps in their knowledge due to their heavy sporting schedules. I have taught people with learning difficulties and I also have plenty of experience in working with younger students, from 8 and up, on the ISEE and SSAT.