* 10 years experience as private tutor.
* Experience teaching teenagers and adults, from pre-GCSE to degree level.
* Prepared students for GCSEs and A Level with all major exam boards, including OCR, AQA, Edexcel and iGCSE.
* Also familiar IB syllabus at both SL and HL level.
* Assessor for OCR exam board, marking A level scripts in English Literature.
* Tutored and mentored student studying for BA in English Literature with the Open University.
* Mentored students with university applications (including Oxbridge).
* Several years experience providing proofreading to academics and professionals.
I like to make learning a language an enjoyable experience, whether that be French or English. I have been teaching languages and music for the last 9 years to people of all ages and levels, in countries including; Wales, London, Italy, France, Belgium, Morocco and Costa Rica. I believe it should be fun, fulfilling and mainly conversational, alongside the study of grammar, writing and reading. I have the ability to adjust my teaching method in order to suit the learner, as I believe everybody comes at languages from a different angle; some from an aural perspective and others from a more grammatical understanding. It is important for me to understand the learners' approach so I can help them fully immerse in the subject. I believe that languages are a vital skill in this global world today and would love to help you improve and work towards fluency in either French or English. I am happy to teach the basics as-well as the following examinations; IBDP, GCSE, A-level and University Degrees in both languages.
Music tutoring; I tutor Music GCSE and A.S/A-Level, piano grades 1-7, voice (jazz/pop), composition and music theory levels 1-8.
I believe ultimately the study of music should be fun and fulfilling and that the fundamental basics of music (e.g. scales/understanding of harmony & theory/listening skills/analytical skills) are required in order to progress with excellence. Musical examinations are not essential in order to be a great musician, but they do help one improve technique, precision and theory. GCSE and A-level music may well be necessary in order to study music at university level, particularly at music conservatoires. I consider music to be mainly about training the ear and playing with meaning and expression.
I have 14 YEARS of TEACHING EXPERIENCE. This has encompassed ALL AGES (preschool to adults) and abilities (BEGINNER to POSTGRADUATE). Subjects I've taught are: GCSE & A Level (Music, Business Studies, Media Studies, Maths), British Primary School Curriculum (Maths, English), Admissions Tests (11+, 12+, 13+, 16+, SAT, GRE), American Elementary School Curriculum (Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, etc.), Preschool (Numeracy & Literacy), English proficiency tests (IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge YLE), Business English, Academic Writing/Composition & Presentations, English Conversation, Grammar, University & Job Applications, Project-Based Learning (PBL), Music Theory & Analysis, Improvisation & Jazz, Saxophone, & Piano. Additionally, I have worked in all kinds of SETTINGS at both public & private primary & secondary schools, universities, adult learning centres, cram schools, businesses, within the home (as a residential home school & a private tutor) and online (to students worldwide). In addition, I have served as the Head of English & PBL at a private elementary & junior high school, as the Academic Director of a test prep centre, and have provided educational consultancy & tutor training to Oxford's oldest tutorial college.
I have 10 years of experience working as a Private Tutor in Cheltenham Spa, London, Moscow and internationally. My experience has ranged from working as a Governess and Residential Tutor for UHNW and VVIP families, to working as an outreach tutor for children with SEN and behavioural difficulties, to working overseas with children who have been victims of trauma and conflict.
For the last 5 years, I have continuously been teaching online, and have taught students as young as 5 years of age, right up to experienced business professionals and retired language learners. This experience has taught me vital strategies in engaging students online, built upon an understanding of age, learning style, objectives, technical abilities, personalities and attention span! In every case, I have built a strong positive rapport with clients and have frequently continued to stay in touch with clients or families even after they have passed their exams or succeeded in their objectives.
2016-18, Tutor in Evolution & Social Evolution (taught 27 undergraduates in 1:1 or 2:1 sessions) on topics of Social
Evolution & Major Evolutionary Transitions, University of Oxford
2016-17, Demonstrator for the “Organisms - Invertebrate Practicals” course run by Jonathan Green, Department of
Zoology, University of Oxford (involved in demonstrating, dissections & marking)
2017-18, Invigilator for undergraduate student exams, New College, University of Oxford
2017, Demonstrator for the “Tree of Life” practical run by Sebastian Shimeld, Department of Zoology, University of
Oxford, (involved in demonstrating, DNA extractions, PCR reactions, gel electrophoresis & sequencing)
2015, Demonstrator for an “Experimental Evolution Practical” course run by William Durham, Department of
Zoology, University of Oxford
I’ve worked as a private tutor for the past 3 years in London, working with a range of clients aged 6-18+, on a range of subjects & skills, primarily English (Language & Literature), Theatre/Drama, and Professional Skills/Public Speaking. I also cover 11+, Essay Writing and Interview Preparation. Previous to this, I have five years of class teaching and one-to-one private tutoring in speech, drama, verse & prose, and public speaking, with ages ranging 8 – 16, for the following exam boards: LAMDA, RADA, Guildhall, & UKA.
I have also worked extensively in Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands, Andorra, and Portugal, working with ages 3 – 18+ adult students, all learning English through theatre.
o English as a Second Language Tutor
• Teaching and communicating English as a second language in online classes to young learners in China. This involves the use of company proprietary software which includes videos, audio, and drawing tools.
o Law Lecturer
• Successfully teaching ILEX, A’ Level, BTEC and NVQ Law at the University of West Herts to learners in evening adult classes and for younger adult learners in the daytime.
• Using the SMARTboard, PowerPoint and proprietary Visual aids to teach a diverse audience of learners with varying needs. Researched video content relevant to the subject in hand.
o British Sign Language Communicator
• Teaching and assisting Deaf learners and Deaf employee clientele in schools, colleges and The Ministry of Justice to understand and carry out their educational and employment commitment by accessing the English Language from their employer and the curriculum.
• Translating and modifying the English language with sign language, word simplification, visuals, symbols and gesticulation for Deaf clientele who have a limited or non-existent vocabulary of English.
o Sign Language Tutor
• Tutoring two groups of Sign Language students in the week and at the weekends to learn—British Language (BSL) and Sign Support Language (SSE).
o Vocal Teacher
• Motivate and train three classes of students for vocal performances scheduled at the Royal Albert Hall.
• Tutor individual and group singing while instilling confidence to successfully sell a show to an audience.