I am a full-time Computer Science teacher and guide my daytime students to impressive grades in Computing. My keenest students in years 9 and 10 are already working towards an AS-Level in Computer Science to supplement and support the GCSE course. I set my students' goals high.
I'm very adept at helping students cut through confusion, focus on precise language and find the focus in theory topics to deliver mark-scheme friendly answers in examinations.
I have tutored GCSE, A-level, Degree and Doctorate-level students on a range of subjects, although my main focus has been Psychology, Sociology, academic writing skills, Business Studies and Research Methods. I have written model essays for exam boards, proofread and edited work to be published, and worked on many dissertations and PhDs with university students.
For Psychology and Sociology, I adopt a systematic approach, and generally like to go over the material thoroughly, testing the student throughout, and spend time on previous exam papers and questions, planning essay answers, discussing how theories relate to real-life situations etc. I sometimes mind-map various themes and ideas with the student, and think outside the box as it were, to make sure that the ideas stem from the student's own work and thinking - so that they can remember it more fully and develop it in future (often students have more knowledge, ideas and insight than they realise, it just needs coaxing out of them!). I often tutor on coursework as well as examination preparation.
I have 22 years of experience in tutoring learners to achieve their goals. I tutor GCSE, A-Level, EPQ, IB, PRE-U, Undergraduate, Postgraduate/Doctoral students, UCAS and Oxbridge applicants, and professional clients in Academic Research and Writing, Creative Industries, Critical Thinking, Cultural Studies, Education, Film, Government and Politics, Marketing, Media, Oxbridge Entrance/UCAS, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Theology, Theory of Knowledge, and Social Sciences.
I combine two decades of experience in the education sector with my earlier career in the creative industries to offer engaging learning opportunities relevant to our daily lives. I am a passionate advocate of 'affective' learning and well-being through creativity, critical inquiry and philosophical reasoning. I invite you to engage in these ways of thinking that can empower you with relevant skills to support your personal growth. I have extensive experience in tutoring GCSE, A-Level, PRE-U, EPQ, Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Professional learners. My presentation style is engaging and interactive. I convert complicated theories and paradigms into straightforward ideas, with practical worth, and impart useful advice for my clients.
I have been tutoring for over 20 years and was Head of Department and teacher of English in a leading online school for ten years. I have taught all aspects of English Language and Literature from providing assistance at undergraduate level, through A Levels and GCSEs, down to KS1. What I love about tutoring one-to-one is the building up of a personal relationship with a student and seeing them gain confidence and develop. Every student is different and learns in a different way, and I have a firm belief that, given the right teacher, everyone can do really well in English. I have also taught History to GCSE and KS3 and run Drama groups, and have participated in additional tutoring for LAMDA.
I have 2 TEFL certificates and have tutored for IELTS/TOEFL/C2 as well as having taught practical conversational English to mixed age/ability groups.
I have been tutoring since for over ten years. Director of Shacademy Ltd/The SHAC 2008-2013. A creative workshop company I set up in her home town of Devon with young people in rural & urban communities. Shacademy ran workshops & tuition sessions in London & Devon. I then chose to focus on a career as a writer and specifically reduced my remit of 500 students a week to one to one sessions, building a reputation as a leading LAMDA tutor, working in London and internationally to prepare for LAMDA exams, support and inspire creative writing, presentation skills, public speaking and preparation for interviews.
Higher Education - Experience in teaching, marking and moderation on both undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes including supporting thesis writing. Subjects taught include Sociology, Social Policy, Education Studies, Teacher Training, Teacher Education, Family and Community Studies, Childhood Studies, Research Methods, ESOL, English for Academic Purposes (EAP). I have supported students studying at University of Birmingham, University of Leicester, Warwick University, DeMontfort University LSE, UCL and IOE amongst a number of other institutions around the UK.
o English as a Second Language Tutor
• Teaching and communicating English as a second language in online classes to young learners in China. This involves the use of company proprietary software which includes videos, audio, and drawing tools.
o Law Lecturer
• Successfully teaching ILEX, A’ Level, BTEC and NVQ Law at the University of West Herts to learners in evening adult classes and for younger adult learners in the daytime.
• Using the SMARTboard, PowerPoint and proprietary Visual aids to teach a diverse audience of learners with varying needs. Researched video content relevant to the subject in hand.
o British Sign Language Communicator
• Teaching and assisting Deaf learners and Deaf employee clientele in schools, colleges and The Ministry of Justice to understand and carry out their educational and employment commitment by accessing the English Language from their employer and the curriculum.
• Translating and modifying the English language with sign language, word simplification, visuals, symbols and gesticulation for Deaf clientele who have a limited or non-existent vocabulary of English.
o Sign Language Tutor
• Tutoring two groups of Sign Language students in the week and at the weekends to learn—British Language (BSL) and Sign Support Language (SSE).
o Vocal Teacher
• Motivate and train three classes of students for vocal performances scheduled at the Royal Albert Hall.
• Tutor individual and group singing while instilling confidence to successfully sell a show to an audience.